Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34

Thread: school consolidation

  1. #21
    Inactive Member centennialdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2003
    Posts
    3,263
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: school consolidation

    Really, isn't this consolidation thing going too far? I mean that it is going to happen, one way or another(either the 3 in one plan or the absorption of the 3 smaller into 3 larger ones).

  2. #22
    Inactive Member CoeburnCane's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 24th, 2004
    Posts
    4,931
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: school consolidation

    Quote Originally Posted by centennialdawg View Post
    Really, isn't this consolidation thing going too far? I mean that it is going to happen, one way or another(either the 3 in one plan or the absorption of the 3 smaller into 3 larger ones).
    My point is, they can consolidate all they want, but if they don't allow the teachers to teach the subject matter instead of what the state has mandated via the SOL's, then we're still gonna be in a world of hurt.
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/miami-med.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/nohokie-med.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/Funny/owmyballs.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]

  3. #23
    Inactive Member Counts's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 27th, 1999
    Posts
    1,019
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: school consolidation

    Quote Originally Posted by CoeburnCane View Post
    My point is, they can consolidate all they want, but if they don't allow the teachers to teach the subject matter instead of what the state has mandated via the SOL's, then we're still gonna be in a world of hurt.

    I am torn alittle I rember that there were plenty of teachers back in my HS days that could not teach and that was pre SOL............Lord knows I am not saying that the SOLs are any better or worse than what we had before but is it possable that many of the teachers use it as a copout?

  4. #24
    Inactive Member R13's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2007
    Posts
    10,269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: school consolidation

    Quote Originally Posted by 1inStripes View Post
    You don't cover the same amount in a day. You cover half as much because the classes are half as long.
    With how he put it, yes, it's basically the same. The whole block isn't non-stop work, a 40 minute lecture/notes, some class work/exercises and then you start on your homework or whatever so you could get help with it if needed. It's really the same pretty much, there's going to be a lot of useless filler time with the period sched. IMO.

    Quote Originally Posted by CoeburnCane View Post
    What Stripes said...plus, my main complaint with teachers and the scheduling now is that it's all SOL oriented, you don't do any actual learning of the subject--it's more "know this b/c it's on the SOL's" than "you should know this and learn it well because it's a part of this subject".
    I don't know how that factors into the sched. part all that much, the SOL's are a huge problem though. It most classes, they still teach everything in the book(this is in my experience), but will tell you which parts will probably be on the SOL...it's not that they JUST teach SOL material. The problem is that the student just studies/focuses on the SOL material when the teacher tells them that, ignoring really the rest because it's not "valuable" and that's the problem. But mainly it isn't like what I think you all are saying, well not nearly as bad. Usually 3 weeks before the SOL, all of that class time in strictly for SOL material, that's a problem too IMO.


    SOL's are a huge problem, because of the rest of the material by the students, which isn't their fault...since you have to pass it and some classes you'll fail the whole thing(no matter the grades). It's taken too seriously, but I think with the reform that this admin has helped that a lot with the reform of No Child and basically eliminating the punishing of schools that have low scores...so there shouldn't be as much as emphasis on it. Even though I don't support them at all, SOL's really aren't that hard, I had them in elementary school to highschool and never came close to failing one. I just don't like the emphasis put on them by students more than anything, the teachers don't try to scare you to death with them, but it just automatically scares them anyway.

  5. #25
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: school consolidation

    It is sad that teachers have to teach toward a specific test. Some of the best teachers I had in school had their own unique ways of teaching stuff because they didn't have to all make sure a+b=c like everyone else. There were a couple of teachers that I really worried about in HS before I got in their class. Once I got there, they were just great teachers who knew how to get you to understand what they wanted out of you.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  6. #26
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: school consolidation

    Your opinion is clouded though R13 because you never participated in a period schedule like that. Not trying to be harsh or anything. Like I said depending on the class, theres advantages and disadvantages to both. Labs are great for block scheduling. It takes a long time to disect a cat in the period setup once you figure in cleaning and etc. You can get a lot more done in block scheduling for things like that. IMO, math classes and social sciences etc benefit during the 6 class/ 1 study hall setup.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  7. #27
    Inactive Member CoeburnCane's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 24th, 2004
    Posts
    4,931
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: school consolidation

    But mainly it isn't like what I think you all are saying, well not nearly as bad.
    Says you, and only you from what input I've gotten. And a lot of that input has been from the teachers having to teach this stuff.
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/miami-med.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/nohokie-med.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/Funny/owmyballs.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]

  8. #28
    Inactive Member R13's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2007
    Posts
    10,269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: school consolidation

    Quote Originally Posted by CoeburnCane View Post
    Says you, and only you from what input I've gotten. And a lot of that input has been from the teachers having to teach this stuff.
    Could be different elsewhere, never seen it at Norton. It's not like that when and where I went, they have to put some focus on it, but nowhere's near to SOL everyday, all day or even close to it. Like I said, all the material is taught, they'll tell you what will probably be on the SOL or not...the students focus on the SOL material, not the teachers as much. Now during those few weeks leading up to the SOL, it's all that is focused on yes, but not the whole year or anything. I've taken them since it started, I know how it works.


    Quote Originally Posted by 1inStripes View Post
    Your opinion is clouded though R13 because you never participated in a period schedule like that. Not trying to be harsh or anything. Like I said depending on the class, theres advantages and disadvantages to both. Labs are great for block scheduling. It takes a long time to disect a cat in the period setup once you figure in cleaning and etc. You can get a lot more done in block scheduling for things like that. IMO, math classes and social sciences etc benefit during the 6 class/ 1 study hall setup.
    I just can't see how it would be any better, history setup was great, math was great because of all the time to go over problems and explaining it...I see it being a lot better with math actually IMO.

  9. #29
    Inactive Member CoeburnCane's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 24th, 2004
    Posts
    4,931
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: school consolidation

    Quote Originally Posted by R13 View Post
    Could be different elsewhere, never seen it at Norton. It's not like that when and where I went, they have to put some focus on it, but nowhere's near to SOL everyday, all day or even close to it. Like I said, all the material is taught, they'll tell you what will probably be on the SOL or not...the students focus on the SOL material, not the teachers as much. Now during those few weeks leading up to the SOL, it's all that is focused on yes, but not the whole year or anything. I've taken them since it started, I know how it works.
    Good deal. I will close the thread now since you know how it works and everyone else with an opinion on this is somehow dead wrong.

    Christ man--you may not mean to come across that way on here, but you have quite a bit here lately. As Sgt Hulka would say: Lighten up, Francis.

    Just because you haven't had this personal experience at Norton doesn't mean its not like how I have had it told to me by teachers at other schools. Keep that in mind the world isn't just how you've seen it, and that it doesn't always work according to your personal experiences. You're halfway smart and intelligent on here when you're not busy discounting what others have to say in favor of your own point of view.
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/miami-med.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/nohokie-med.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/Funny/owmyballs.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]

  10. #30
    Inactive Member centennialdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2003
    Posts
    3,263
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: school consolidation

    Quote Originally Posted by coeburncane View Post
    good deal. I will close the thread now since you know how it works and everyone else with an opinion on this is somehow dead wrong.

    Christ man--you may not mean to come across that way on here, but you have quite a bit here lately. As sgt hulka would say: Lighten up, francis.

    Just because you haven't had this personal experience at norton doesn't mean its not like how i have had it told to me by teachers at other schools. Keep that in mind the world isn't just how you've seen it, and that it doesn't always work according to your personal experiences. You're halfway smart and intelligent on here when you're not busy discounting what others have to say in favor of your own point of view.


    amen!!! To you!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •